Basic equipment in Cell Culture Lab - Say No to uncertainty
“Today I am visiting the lab after four months – I want to dig the samples from -80egree freezer. Oops- there are so many vials – like me, all my friends might have stuffed their samples. The labels are smeared – could not differentiate vials” Said Rajkumar, Post Doc Researcher
Labeling System – for your laboratory
Hand labeling is prone to errors. Unstandardized labeling habits in the lab create uncertainty – often, samples can not be identified or found. Imagine the difficulty of writing the name of the cell line, date of harvest, drug bconcentration on the small 1.5ml tube with your Big gloved hands.
The labels are clear and neat on the first two tubes – by the time you start labeling third, the English script goes back to its root language Latin. So it would take at least 15 minutes to label 24 tubes.
DMSO, the solvent used to dissolve drugs, HCL, and NaOH to prepare buffers, often spill and smear the labels. The rationale science becomes irrational if you are not clear on the samples chosen based on the smeared labels.
The MilliSentials™ Lab Labeling System provides:
- Laboratory grade labels that can withstand harsh temperatures from -196 °C (liquid nitrogen) to 100 °C.
- Adaptable labels that can accommodate multiple vessel types and sizes (Petri dishes, microcentrifuge plates, 0.5 – 0.6 mL tubes, 1.0-2.0 mL tubes, reagent bottles, flasks, 15 ml conical tubes, 50 ml conical tubes, cryovials, HPLC vials)
- Intuitive, easy-to-use thermal transfer printer with hardwire and wireless connection options
- Build, save, and share label templates for standard label setups
- Access and print labels using a laptop, tablet, or mobile device on the same network as the printer
“I have to revive the cells today. All my colleagues also like to revive today .. we divided our time, I had to postpone my other experiment to fit into the schedule. I had to choose a slot during lunchtime – someone can easily catch a handful of mouses in my stomach – I am so hungry,” said Nikhilesh, a third-year Ph.D. student.
Cell Counter – Count with ease
Some days, cell counting becomes an arduous task. The cell, which is live and vibrant, appears dull and dead. At the same time, the clear, sharp lines of the haemocytometer appear blurry and fuzzy. The vision-based automated cell counters may do the job quickly, but the results are not consistent. The Trypan blue reagent may not differentiates the apoptotic cells and live cells – Because apoptotic cells has the cell membrane is very much intact like a live cell.
Switch to Scepter 3.0 Handheld Cell Counter:
The Scepter™ 3.0 cell counter uses the Coulter principle of impedance-based particle detection to reliably and accurately count every cell in your sample. For example, without moving away from the cell culture hood, you could count cells in 30 seconds. It is like handling a digital pipette, as you aspirate the samples through sensors, the cells are calculated and displayed on a big screen.
Here’s how it works:
- Precise volumes (100uL) are drawn into the Scepter'”‘ sensor.
- As cells flow through the aperture in the sensor, resistance increases, and, by Ohm’s law (V=IR, where V=voltage, I=current, and R=resistance), this increase in resistance causes a subsequent increase in voltage.
- Voltage changes are recorded as spikes with each passing cell.
- Spikes of the same size are bucketed into a histogram and counted.
- This histogram gives you quantitative data on cell morphology that can be used to evaluate the quality and health of your cell culture.
“I have more samples to test because of lockdown. Because of repeated action of pipetting many samples, my shoulders and elbow, and thumb have severe pain. When I search on Internet, the symptoms are similar to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome” Said Rohan, Working in DMPK lab
For each well dispensing of the drug concentration generally have to perform four actions with pipette:
- Pickup the pipette tip
- Aspirate the media with drug dilution
- Dispense the media in the culture wells
- Discard the pipette tip
For 12 wells, 48 actions. For four such 12 well plates, it is 192. So imagine the above task with just a few steps:
MilliSentials™ Aliquoting Pipette Controller:
- Aspirating the required media for 12 wells using serological pipettes.
- With the click of a button, dispense the media in each well.
- Discard the serological pipet.
Done. As simple as it.
MilliSentials™ Aliquoting Pipette Controller combines the automatic aliquoting function of a repeat pipettor with the essential functions of a standard pipette controller in a single device.
- Dispenses accurate aliquots between 0.5-5.0 mL at the touch of a button
- Touch-sensitive aspirate and dispense buttons
- Ergonomic design reduces hand strain
Watch the video here to know how it functions.
There are solutions to many of our daily routines that speed up the work and reduce the strain. So keep yourself updated with the latest innovative products.
Stay on this link for more exciting product details.